Thursday, August 23, 2012

The High Cost of High School



I'm taking a cranial hiatus from the job search today. Not because it's not still weighing heavily on my mind, but because the advent of the school year has taken the main stage in my home and, more importantly, my checkbook.

For the first time in years my month is closing with more money than checks rather than more checks than money. Although, to be honest, the difference between the balance and the paper is mighty slim right now. When you combine the cost of marching shoes ($60), a second flute that can withstand the elements ($60), a fab flute that is meant for playing indoors ($1500), the cost to participate in marching band ($250+$100 fundraising buyout), high-tech racing suits for the pool ($160-- although they typically cost about $300), another fundraising buyout ($100), school supplies ($150), various high school fees ($250), two dual-credit classes ($746), and clothes for two rapidly-growing children ($1 buhgillion)... Holy cow, this is killing me.

I know, I know, it's crass to talk about money,  but listing these expenses is cathartic for me right now. Not only does it spur me on to even greater efforts in the job search endeavor, it also serves to remind me how blessed we are to be able to even CONSIDER providing our kids with these opportunities. It also helps me mentally prepare for what the next 9 years of college expenses are going to entail.

I could sit and bitch about how expensive August has been this year, but what would be the point? The money is spent, the kids are engaged, and hey, it's only money, right? Is a family budget meeting pending? Oh yeah... However, when you look at the expenses and why we are covering them, the big, long-term picture needs to be considered. Will the band experience lead to scholarships? Will the cost of year-round swimming+ tech suits+ travel fees lead to scholarships? Would I rather pay $746 for Liam to start college with a minimum of 16 credits than pay an average of $200 per credit hour for those same 16 credits at the college of his choice? Obviously I have to answer 'yes' to these questions.

I also have to stock up on peanut butter and ramen noodles because apparently that's all my grocery bill can permit....Good thing we're young parents with 20+ years to refill the coffers after the kids get out of college, right?

1 comment:

  1. I can relate! But, I must share that college, due to great scholarships for good grades, as well as music awards for Matt and swimming for Chris, ended up costing us WAY LESS than high school! I loved reading this!

    ReplyDelete